Thread: Mood enhancers

Beta Tester

Mood enhancers

I think one of the most overlooked aspects of game design these days is setting the mood. In my opinion this should extend to the design of the GUI, of the menu system, of loading screen etc. I know this means a little more work but the end effect is very much worth it. So if you could make the option screen modeled as an office or the bridge of a boat (think Silent Hunter 3) and the loading screen with something worth looking at (maybe stats on the boat or map of area of operations) this would keep the player immersed so much more.

Also, I think the music for this game should be something from the 1920s, 30s and early 40s. What do you think?

Lastly, please put a lot of emphasis on the controls. This is one of the most challenging aspects of designing games for smart phones and many otherwise fantastic products have fallen flat on their faces because of clumsy controls. To this end, I would seriously consider several different control methods and taking a long hard look at each so as to not miss an opportunity to make it better.

Good luck with the development!

Thanks! Yes, you're right. Especially the controls are the most important thing on a smartphone/tablet. We'll try to make it as clean as possible.