Thread: Phantom ships

Neuer Benutzer

Phantom ships

Out on patrol and received notification of a sighting - a large group. On the map the large group consisted of two ships: a battleship and a carrier. Via periscope and the 360 degree view a number of other ships were to be seen.

On approaching the battleship, I found another ship directly in front of it (as if both it and the battleship were connected - see screen grab). The ship was listing badly. Via periscope, the ship in front of the battleship was 9000 yds away while the battleship was less than 1000 yds away. Out of four torpedoes, two hit the first ship (and sank it) while the other two hit the battleship.

F1955AF8-DF98-48F8-A4A6-FECF30E04DD3.jpg

Later in the same battle, I noticed funnel smoke rising out of the sea. I submerged my sub and rather unbelievably found a ship sailing along - just below the surface of the water. I even collided with this phantom ship (which wasn’t showing on the map).

Leaving the battle having sunk the carrier and the battleship, the notification to tell me what had been sunk showed the two main ships - and a number of other ships that had escaped. While I encountered one of the phantom ships underwater, the others on the surface disappeared completely. However they still showed on the end-of-battle tally. More screen grabs attached.

All I can say is that it was just plain weird!

941AEB4D-4977-4A41-B7B7-6AF32E44C62B.jpg
    954423EB-CB7D-4B4C-90C7-195EFB739AF6.jpg
    1324036C-DCFE-4494-BACC-31A43041AD34.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Weird indeed. Interesting. Will try to find this one!

Neuer Benutzer
    I've encountered the listing ship before. And if I remember correctly it was in company with either a battleship or a carrier, just like in this instance. One other thing I recall from a previous encounter like this, and which happened again last night, is that out of four torpedoes fired at the battleship, two missed - from a range of about 500 yds! I've had the same happen when attacking an aircraft carrier at a similar distance.

How on Earth can you miss something wider than a football pitch at such close range?

Hello Fas Lane
    We tried to program these torps as accurate as possible. So they have some possibility of mal function. Under 500 yards they could not be sharp. I tried yesterday evening to fire some on a carrier group and hit the carrier at around 800 yards, one hits but i sunk by several waterbombs from the protection ships. Btw i never had the luck to sunk a battleship or a carrier. ��
    Run Deep, Run Silent!

Neuer Benutzer
    Based on my experience, the only time torpedoes miss from a range of around 500 yds is when the target is the largest, ie, a carrier or battleship. They never miss from that range when the target is small!

To sink a carrier or battleship, my strategy is to position my sub inside the group so that I have the main target (the first of the two large ships) directly ahead and one of the protecting ships directly to the rear. That way I can fire forward and rear torpedoes very quickly and attack two ships inn the group at the same time. Typically the carrier or battleship will be disabled and the destroyer or light cruiser is sunk or disabled. If you can avoid detection at this point, the second large ship will be in torpedo range very soon.