Neuer Benutzer

Coastline / Islands

I was wondering if the implementation of coastlines (or rather islands) is possible? Driving straight through the islands without any visible landmass and collision felt a little bit awkward.

Can imagine that it's quite a lot of work though, but to me it doesn't have to be super precise, just a simple generic shoreline one can collide with would be great.
    Not to mention the possibility of having harbours to sneak into.

Neuer Benutzer
    waaait a minute... am i missing something? merryXmaspic.jpg
    Or is it Wake Island ?
    Last edited by Grandmaster-G; 13.01.2017 at 20:06.

Neuer Benutzer
    i thought that the land featured in the image is just midway - there is land there when you set out, but that is the only land i have seen in the game

Neuer Benutzer
    oh yeah, my bad.. it's midway of course!

Yes this is possible and will come at some point. More islands and coast lines. It's quite a big task actually as we have kind of an open world which is huge. That's why we have to use different coordinate systems to fight floating point inaccuracy issues. Basically the submarine is somewhat always at 0,0,0 and the world itself has to move around the sub. Additionally to that the maps are not just simple top down views of the 3d world but painted in 2d using symbolic graphics. Especially the detail (tactical) map doesn't handle islands yet which is one reason you simply cannot switch to the detail map when near Midway.

But this is on the todo list as well!

Neuer Benutzer
    that is good

also i have a question - regarding war patrols - is there any benefit to actually doing the war patrol in the designated area? everywhere seems the same and i encounter convoys and ships in and out of the patrol areas - i think something needs to be done to make the patrol zones actually mean something - perhaps one encounters more or different or higher class ships there

also allied shipping, i think it would be good to have some ships as allied too and perhaps you have to work out whether it is friend or foe, -by way of what flag is on the ship or something

Neuer Benutzer
    Agreed, bigger convoys/higher class ships inside the patrol area would make a real difference and raise the importance of actually getting there (and back)!